Grenade attack in a bar in Burundi leaves 3 dead

first_imgThree people were killed in a grenade attack on a bar in the Burundian capital Bujumbura late on Monday, police said.Burundi sank into a crisis last year after President Pierre Nkurunziza ran for a third term of office, which he secured in a disputed vote.U.N. officials say the crisis has brought the nation to the brink of a new civil war, after it emerged from a 12-year, ethnically fueled conflict just a decade ago.Pierre Nkurukiye, the police spokesman, said a senior police officer, a lawyer and a civil servant were killed in the attack that took place in the Bwiza neighborhood.Witnesses said the attackers used a motorbike to get to the scene and to flee after the explosion. Police arrested several youths in the area after the attack on the bar that is popular with Nkurunziza’s supporters, the witnesses added.last_img read more

US airstrike kills 13 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia

first_imgThe U.S. military says a December 24 airstrike in southern Somalia has killed 13 al-Shabab militants.According to a statement by the U.S. Africa Command, the strike was carried out Sunday morning about 50 kilometers (31 miles) northwest of Kismayo with help from the Somali government.“In coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. forces conducted an airstrike against al-Shabaab militants on the morning of Dec. 24, 2017, in southern Somalia, killing 13 militants,” the statement said.“The strike targeted the militants as they mobilized to launch an attack against our base. Fortunately, the military from a friendly nation disabled them with a drone strike and killed 13 of them,” a Somali military commander in the area told VOA.The United States has carried out about 30 airstrikes against al-Shabab this year after the Trump administration expanded military efforts against Africa’s deadliest Islamic extremist group.“U.S. forces will continue to use all authorized and appropriate measures to protect the United States, its partners, and interests, and deny safe haven to terrorist groups,” the statement added.Al-Shabab has been blamed for the October truck bombing in Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu, that killed 512 people.last_img read more

‘Insect milk’ now on sale in South Africa

first_imgREUTERS/Yves Herman REUTERS/Yves HermanA South African company has begun selling what it calls “Entomilk,” a special milk made from farmed insects.“Think of Entomilk as a sustainable, nature-friendly, nutritious, lactose free, delicious, guilt-free dairy alternative of the future,” Gourmet Grubb said on its website.According to the company, one of the most pivotal benefits of Entomilk is that it has a high protein content and is rich in minerals such as iron, zinc and calcium.Entomilk entered the market two years after the debut of the so-called “cockroach milk,” a milk made from the viviparous cockroach named Diploptera punctata.This particular kind of cockroach, which is usually found on Pacific islands like Hawaii, is the only known cockroach that gives birth to their babies, as opposed to laying eggs.Their milk is a crystal of proteins, fats and sugars, which are important for the growth of baby cockroaches.A study carried out by Indian researchers in 2016 found that the cockroach milk is estimated to contain over three times the energy of the equivalent mass of cow milk.However, scientists did not expect the cockroach milk to be found in supermarkets anytime soon. Besides its unappealing name, it’s also unclear if the milk is safe to consume. Plus, there’s not enough research to make this nauseating food appealing.“We have no evidence that it is actually safe for human consumption,” said Subramanian Ramaswamy, the lead author of the 2016 study.And as The Independent reports, it takes a lot of cockroaches to make ample amounts of milk for human consumption.“On one hand, insect farms can be easily greener and more sustainable than bovine farming,” nutritionist Martina Della Vedova told The Independent. “But on the other hand, we don’t know what the effect of this food on us in the long term is and if there is a daily maximum amount we should consider. More studies and investigation should be conducted.”Not to mention, there are plenty of other nutritious foods that more appetizing.As registered dietitian Jo Travers told The Independent, “Just because it contains nutrients doesn’t necessarily mean we need to rush out and eat it.”last_img read more

Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) marks one year anniversary

first_img(Standard Gauge Railway(SGR) terminus at Syokimau,Nairobi,KE)The Kenya Standard Gauge Railway marked a major milestone on Thursday as the Madaraka express passenger service celebrated one year in operations. The Madaraka Express is a freight and passenger train service initiated by the China Roads and Bridges Corporation on May 31, 2017.  It earned Sh1bilion in revenue in its first year of service.(SGR preparing to leave the Nairobi terminus marking its first anniversary)More than 1.3 million passengers have commuted on the SGR and demand increases every day. The service’s popularity is largely attributed to the numerous benefits it holds over other forms of mass transit in Kenya. Many passengers speak highly of the unparalleled comfort of the train’s coaches.Speaking on Thursday during the colourful ceremony, the Economic and Commercial Counsellor of the Chinese Embassy to Kenya, Professor Guo Ce hailed the SGR as an engine for Kenya’s economic development and a project that brings real benefits to people.”The SGR is an example of a joint operation that has showed that the bilateral relations between Kenya and China can yield benefits to both parties economically. It is also important to note that China is a critical player in the implementation of the Big Four agenda of President Uhuru Kenyatta”, says Prof Guo.(The economic and commercial counsellor to the Chinese embassy in Kenya Prof Guo Ce gives address at the 1year anniversary of SGR in Nairobi,KE)According the the Kenya Railways Managing Director Atanas Maina, one of SGR’s biggest accomplishments in its first year was the  introduction of an inter-county service train in September 2017 with the inaugural stops in Voi and Mtito Andei stations.“Since we started, the trains have been full throughout – the lowest recording being in the region of 85 percent, noted Maina.  “Otherwise we’ve been at 100 percent occupancy. Government policy was to first ensure that Kenyans can move as fast as possible safely efficiently for business and leisure so we don’t see ourselves increasing the fares over the next one year.”(Kenya Railways Managing Director Atanas Maina gives speech on SGR one year anniversary in Nairobi,KE)Due to the growing need for better transportation in Kenya, the Kenya and China and Communication construction company signed an agreement for construction of the SGR phase 2A that will connect two counties between Naivasha and MalabaIn a statement by Transport Cabinet Secretary James Macharia, he alludes to more job opportunities with the new project.“We believe that more opportunities will be available for Kenyans to further drive the country’s development and specifically infrastructure agenda,” said Macharia.(Mr Li Quanhuai, Chairman of CRBC Operations, addresses the audience during celebrations of the Madaraka Express Anniversary in Nairobi, KE)Passenger service is a success, however SGR was also built primarily to improve and increase cargo transport. The government now targets 11 daily freight trains from Mombasa to Nairobi by November this year and China has expressed its satisfaction with the train and has assured of more support in the coming year.“It is a great opportunity to witness the first anniversary of the Madaraka Express with my Kenyan friends. During the past one year, we have successfully launched the train – over one million passengers have used the service, resulting in a constant coach occupancy of over 95%.” says Mr. Li Quanhuai, Chairman of CRBC Operations(Chinese ambassador to Kenya Sun Baohong together with Kenya Railways MD Atanas Maina during Madaraka express celebrations,cake cutting in Nairobi,KE)Over 30,000 Kenyans have found employment as a result of the Kenya-China partnership. 900 students who trained at the Railway Training Institute under the SGR programme and Partnership have been absorbed into the Madaraka Express Operations. More are currently undertaking studies on railway technology in order to carry out the remaining work ahead.last_img read more

UN lauds Kenya’s progress in fight against HIV

first_imgKenya readies itself for fight against drought Kenya maintains fight against ivory trade Free HIV testing booths are installed during the World AIDS Day event at University of Nairobi in Nairobi, Kenya, on December 1, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / YASUYOSHI CHIBA (Photo credit should read YASUYOSHI CHIBA/AFP/Getty Images) Free HIV testing booths are installed during the World AIDS Day event at University of Nairobi in Nairobi, Kenya, on December 1, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / YASUYOSHI CHIBA (Photo credit should read YASUYOSHI CHIBA/AFP/Getty Images)The United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS (UNAIDS) on Tuesday lauded Kenya for making good progress in the fight against HIV/AIDS in the country.Medhin Tsehaiu, new country director of the UNAIDS, however, urged Kenya to adopt innovative approaches that appeal more to the youth who are a high-risk population.“I have to congratulate you for your leadership and commitment in our efforts to eliminate mother-to-child transmission of HIV. We are so grateful for your support,” Tsehaiu told the Kenyan First Lady Margaret Kenyatta when they held talks in Nairobi.According to a statement issued after the meeting, Tsehaiu has commended First Lady Margaret Kenyatta for her leading role in the fight against the disease in the country.She also brief Kenyatta on the UNAIDS’ ambitious plans to slow the spread of the disease by ensuring that by 2020, 90 percent of people living with HIV will know their status, be put on antiretroviral therapy and have their viral loads suppressedTsehaiu who was appointed in July said the First Lady, through the Beyond Zero Initiative, has contributed significantly to the reduction of new HIV infections especially the mother-to-child transmission of the virus.“The country is moving on the right track because of the commitment and good leadership. As we approach the last mile, we need to do things differently and in an innovative way,” Tsehaiu said.During the meeting, Kenyatta assured the country director of her firm commitment to the fight against HIV/AIDS.“As always you can count on my support as regards this noble initiative,” the First Lady said adding that the successes achieved in recent years including the reduction in infections among adults by almost half form 101,000 to 46,000 cases last year should be sustained.Relatedcenter_img Kenya pledges new investments to boost war against HIV/AIDSlast_img read more

Securities firms to suspend short selling stocks in February

first_imgGetty Images Getty ImagesSome securities firms will suspend the short selling business from February 3, 2020.The short selling practice is done by betting that a stock price will decline and you of sell a stock without owning it, hoping to buy it later at a lower price and thus make a profit.One broker issued a notice internally saying that all clients of the financing transactions and margin trading would be suspended from selling new short selling securities. But the previously existing short selling orders would not be returned.During the period when the customer suspends the short selling, the exclusive short selling source fee can be waived through negotiation.At the present, it was learned that the forms of the various brokers’ actions in the industry are not the same. Some suspended short selling, some controlled the unilateral clearance (the bilateral is still available to do). Short selling in the industry however has not completely stopped.The move by securities firms is to protect the integrity and quality of the securities market and strengthen investor confidence.Related Global Business 26th February 2015 Match Point 21st February 2015center_img Match Point 7th February 2015last_img read more

Gastrointestinal disease kills 9 in Zimbabwe, 1,000 infected

first_img‘Mysterious disease’ kills at least 15 in Nigeria Elephant kills handler in Zimbabwe MAP OF ZIMBABWE Nine people in Zimbabwe’s second largest city Bulawayo have died form a gastrointestinal disease outbreak, while about a thousand have been infected with the water-borne disease.The local authority said in a statement on Sunday that one of the possible causes of the outbreak was water contamination due to obsolete infrastructure.“The 144-hour shedding strained the already aged network, further complicating the system and reducing its ability to self-cleanse due to prolonged hours of no water in the network,” read a council report on water contamination.The outbreak has been clustered in the city’s three high density suburbs namely Old Luveve, New Luveve and Gwabalanda, with residents blaming the outbreak on contaminated council water.The outbreak comes at a time when authorities are battling the COVID-19 pandemic.Bulawayo Mayor Solomon Mgumi told media that one of their major challenges to date in handling the new outbreak was the lack of personnel as health officials were already engrossed with containing the COVID-19 pandemic.The city has so far confirmed 60 cases of COVID-19, including 48 recoveries and 2 deaths.Bulawayo, which lies 360 km south-west of the capital Harare, is facing one of the worst water crises in years that has seen some residents going for months without receiving running water.An extended drought has reduced water supplies in the city’s dams and reservoirs, forcing residents to fetch water from unprotected sources.The local authority has so far decommissioned three of its six dams, leaving the city’s dam levels below 30 percent.Relatedcenter_img Lion kills and eats woman in Zimbabwelast_img read more

Tanzania’s Simba clinches domestic treble, celebrates with fans in open parade

first_imgTanzania to open High-Tech modern hospital Tanzania’s Simba S.C. qualify for FA Cup final, remain on course for double Members of Tanzanian football giants Simba S.C. celebrate with fans during an open parade following the conclusion of the season which saw them complete a domestic treble. COURTESY: TWITTER/Simba S.C.Tanzanian giants Simba Sports Club celebrated clinching a domestic treble with their fans in the streets of Dar es Salaam following their win against Namungo in the Azam Sports Federation Cup final.Simba defeated Namungo 2-1 at the Nelson Mandela Stadium in Sumbawanga to complete the treble capping off a fine season. Luis Miquissone and captain John Raphael Bocco scored for Simba while Edward Manyama pulled one back for Namungo.Victory saw Simba add the Federation Cup (Tanzania’s equivalent of the FA Cup) to the Charity Shield and the Vodacom Premier League, a feat they last achieved in the 2016/17 season.Despite ending on the losing side of a final, Namungo, who finished fourth in the league, will represent Tanzania in next season’s CAF Confederation Cup.Images shared on social media showed Simba players in an open bus snaking their way through a multitude of fans who gathered in the streets of Dar es Salaam for the parade from the Julius Nyerere International Airport to Kariakoo ward.Players, staff and fans of Tanzania’s Simba S.C. during an open bus parade in Dar es Salaam. COURTESY: TWITTER/Simba S.C.The pictures are at odds with much of the situation across Africa and the world in general where the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic is still being fought and restrictive measures, such as bans on mass social gatherings, are still in place.In June, Tanzanian President John Magufuli declared the country free from COVID-19 thanks to prayers to God.Tanzania was also the first African country to resume its football season following suspension in March due to the pandemic. However, at the time of resumption, in June, certain safety regulations were still being observed by players, staff and fans.Relatedcenter_img Tanzania albino documentary controversylast_img read more

Senegal’s COVID-19 cases surpass 12,000-mark with 160 new infections

first_imgPhoto taken on May 23, 2020 shows people wearing masks at public places in Dakar, Senegal. Senegalese Ministry of Health and Social Action reported on Sunday 71 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases to 3,047 in the country. (Photo by Eddy Peters/Xinhua) Photo taken on May 23, 2020 shows people wearing masks at public places in Dakar, Senegal. Senegalese Ministry of Health and Social Action reported on Sunday 71 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases to 3,047 in the country. (Photo by Eddy Peters/Xinhua)Senegal’s COVID-19 cases surpassed this Saturday the 12,000-mark after 160 more cases were reported in the past 24 hours by the country’s health ministry.Out of 1,886 tests conducted in the past 24 hours in two qualified labs, the ministry received 160 positive results, bring the total number of COVID-19 cases to 12,032 in Senegal.According to the spokesperson of the ministry Dr. Mamadou Ndiaye, the newly confirmed cases contain 67 follow-up contact cases, two imported ones detected at airport, and 91 community transmission cases.Senegal has been reporting more community transmission cases than follow-up contact cases since over a week. This is due to the Tabaski festival celebration when many Senegalese travelled back home around the end of July.With 22 more patients discharged from hospitals and treatment centers, the cumulative number of recoveries reached 7,637 since the outbreak of the pandemic on March 2 in Senegal, Dr. Ndiaye added.The death toll also continues to rise. With two addition deaths recorded by the health authorities, Senegal now has 251 COVID-19 related deaths, a fatality rate of 2.08 percent.Related Senegal’s total confirmed COVID-19 cases surpasses 200 Kenya reports 12 new COVID-19 casescenter_img Somalia confirms 19 new COVID-19 caseslast_img read more

Arkless Welcomes 4g Upgrades In Four Areas Of D&G

first_img“EE have been working hard to upgrade 4G coverage throughout the region for some time and I am delighted to hear from them that they now have the planning permission they need to continue this vital work.” “The need to improve connectivity across our region cannot be understated – so many current jobs depend good connectivity and countless more potential jobs would come to Dumfries and Galloway if reliable internet connections could be secured.  I am very pleased to hear more positive news from EE and hope that they continue to upgrade the 4G coverage across our region.” Mr Arkless added: Improving internet connectivity for Dumfries and Galloway has been a key priority for Mr Arkless since his election and he has successfully worked with various telecoms providers to improve both broadband and 4G services to rural communities. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInDumfries and Galloway MP Richard Arkless has welcomed confirmation from the telecoms firm EE that they have been granted planning permission for 4G upgrades at four separate sites across the region. Commenting, Mr Arkless said: Planning permission has been granted for EE to improve coverage along a section of the A702 south of Moniaive, the A746 and B7052 just north of Sorbie, a section of the A711 south of Beeswing and along the B736, west of Palnackie.last_img read more

123498