Month: December 2019

Liverpool youngster hoping to make first-team impact after impressive European debut

first_img Jordan Rossiter Liverpool midfielder Jordan Rossiter enjoyed an impressive Europa League debut which offered both him and the club great hope for the future.The 18-year-old, who scored within 10 minutes of making his bow for the club in the League Cup last season, put in a composed performance in his first European outing which saw the Reds draw 1-1 in Bordeaux.For over an hour he played alongside fellow academy graduate Pedro Chirivella, who made an earlier-than-expected first-team bow after injury to Kolo Toure, and by the second half the pair looked as comfortable as they did playing in the under-21s together.Local-born Rossiter’s rise through the ranks has accelerated over the last year and he is keen to seize the opportunity offered by Brendan Rodgers, who is likely to use him again for next week’s Capital One Cup visit of Carlisle and also in forthcoming European fixtures.“It was a tough test and I really enjoyed my European debut,” he said.“I loved it out there. I’ve been working most of my time at the academy to try to push into the first team and I got my chance. Hopefully it comes again.“Young players want to do well and we want to go that extra mile.“I’ve played with Pedro for two or three years now so I know how he plays and he knows how I play and I thought he did very well – the same with Cam (Cameron Brannagan, another academy product given a late debut) when he came on.“To be honest I was a little bit nervous when I found out I was starting a few days ago but you just have to go out there and enjoy it and try your best – that is all you can do.“I had to come off with a bit of cramp, which I’m disappointed about, but the manager said, ‘great experience’ and I can only take that forward and hopefully get better.“I was just disappointed we couldn’t get the win but I think a point away from home is good.“We have three home games left and if we get three wins from them it will be good for us.” 1last_img read more

TEAM NEWS: Wayne Rooney and Eden Hazard return for Manchester United and Chelsea respectively

first_img Wayne Rooney and Eden Hazard Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has been reinstated to the Red Devils’ first team after being benched for the defeat to Stoke City on Boxing Day.Rooney replaced Memphis Depay at half time in that 2-0 loss at the Britannia Stadium, and it is the Dutch winger again who makes way for Rooney’s return.The England captain has scored just two league goals all season with United languishing in sixth in the table after four successive defeats in all competitions for the first time since 1961.Rooney looks set to start in attack with Anthony Martial pushing out wide to accommodate his captain.As for Chelsea, Guus Hiddink looks to have set up without a recognised striker in Diego Costa’s absence, with Eden Hazard returning to operate as an unorthodox forward.Man United team: De Gea, Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Young, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Mata, Herrera, Martial, Rooney.Chelsea team: Courtois; Ivanovic, Zouma, Terry, Azpilicueta; Mikel, Matic; Willian, Oscar, Pedro; Hazard. 1last_img read more

Man City manager pleased to get a clean sheet at Leicester

first_imgManuel Pellegrini was happy with Manchester City’s first clean sheet without Vincent Kompany this season despite the goalless draw against Leicester extending his side’s winless away run in the Barclays Premier League.Kompany returned from injury as a substitute on Boxing Day but soon limped off again and faces another three to four weeks out due to a fresh problem with the same calf.With Nicolas Otamendi and Eliaquim Mangala yet to keep a clean sheet prior to Tuesday, some City fans may have feared the worst facing the league’s joint-highest scorers without their captain.However, the expensive and often criticised central defensive pairing produced an accomplished display at the King Power Stadium, keeping Leicester’s top scorer Jamie Vardy quiet for much of the game, while the Foxes’ other danger man Riyad Mahrez was also reduced to a bit-part role.Pellegrini refuted claims City had come for a draw, though.He said: “I think we are returning to a very solid and consistent team, which is important.“One of the good things about tonight is that we kept a clean sheet after many games without. But I am not happy because we came here to try to win the game.“We went for the three points and I think that we had more possession than Leicester and more attempts and did more things to win the game.“But of course if you can’t win then it is very important you don’t lose and we were a very solid and consistent team defending against a very difficult team like Leicester who have players in a very good moment and that always scores goals.“I am not happy but not disappointed also because I think we played well but we couldn’t score.”The result leaves City third in the table, three points behind leaders Arsenal and second-placed Leicester.Pellegrini’s side remain without an away win in six league outings since a 1-0 victory at Crystal Palace on September 12 but he expects City to challenge for the title.He said: “I said when we lost to Arsenal that we prove a lot. We lost that game so it is very difficult when you don’t win to say good things but we are in a very good position.“We are going to be involved to the end in the fight for the league. We are in the semi-finals of the Capital One Cup and through in the Champions League so I don’t think it is important to split it into home and away. We are very strong at home.“I don’t think in December you can say who will be in the frame to win the title. At the end of January after six or seven more games maybe we can see more which teams will be involved.”last_img read more

Combined Arsenal and Chelsea XI – who gets the bragging rights ahead of Sunday’s clash?

first_imgArsenal and Chelsea go head to head at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday afternoon.So, to get warmed up for the blockbuster Premier League clash, we asked football fans on the talkSPORT Facebook page who would make a combined XI featuring players from both sides, based on current form and fitness?And here’s the general consensus on the Gunners and Blues players who should make the cut, with a few surprises along the way.Click the yellow arrow above, right, to discover the XI. 10. Left wing: Joel Campbell (Arsenal) 2. Right back: Hector Bellerin (Arsenal) 11 11. Striker: Olivier Giroud (Arsenal) 5. Left back: Nacho Monreal (Arsenal) 11 11 3. Centre back: Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal) 7. Centre midfield: Mathieu Flamini (Arsenal) 11 11 1. Goalkeeper: Petr Cech (Arsenal) – see the remaining 10 players to make a combined Gooner and Chelsea XI by clicking the arrow above 11 11 4. Centre back: Kurt Zouma (Chelsea) 8. Right wing: Willian (Chelsea) 11 11 6. Centre midfield: Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal) 11 9. Attacking midfield: Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) 11last_img read more

TRANSFER NEWS: Liverpool and Man United among five clubs chasing La Liga star

first_img Sofiane Feghouli in action for Valencia Liverpool and Manchester United are among five clubs chasing Sofiane Feghouli’s signature this summer, according to reports in Spain.Despite claiming last month he would be willing to stay with Valencia, the Algeria international has now apparently rejected a new contract with the La Liga club due to interest from abroad.Valencia are reluctant to meet Feghouli’s wage demands and now, according to Don Balon, the winger has handed in a transfer request.Liverpool and United have scouted the 26-year-old regularly this year, while AC Milan, Inter Milan and Roma are also keen on the player.Feghouli joined Valencia from Grenoble in 2010 and has made over 100 league appearances for Los Che. 1last_img read more

Car blast kills U.S. soldier, four civilians

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityIt was the third suicide attack in Kabul in eight days. The Taliban also claimed responsibility for those earlier attacks, which struck Afghan security forces and killed at least 42. In the southern province of Oruzgan, Taliban fighters attacked a road construction crew working on the main highway that connects the area to Kandahar province to the south, said Sayed Aqa Saqib, Kandahar’s provincial police chief. The insurgents killed five security guards and burned six vehicles, then kidnapped 10 workers, Saqib said. KABUL, Afghanistan – A suicide car bomber detonated his payload next to an American military convoy on the main road leading to the Kabul airport early Saturday, killing one American serviceman and at least four civilians, American and Afghan officials said. The attack, which came on the sixth anniversary of the American-led invasion in 2001, destroyed the soldier’s vehicle and wounded many numerous people, officials and witnesses said. “I heard a very big blast and I threw myself to the ground,” said Jamal, 22, who, like many Afghans, goes by only one name. “I then saw the vehicle in the air and it came down and hit another car.” One of the victims was a civilian riding a bike, he said. A spokesman for the Taliban, Zabihullah Mujahid, said in a telephone interview that the insurgency was responsible for the bombing. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Oakland woman calls 911, alleging she drowned her baby

first_imgOAKLAND — An Oakland woman is in custody after she called 911 late Tuesday afternoon alleging that she had drowned her infant in the bathtub of her Eastlake high-rise apartment. Police would not release the identity of the woman, between the age of 20 and 30 years old, who they confirmed called emergency services about 5:45 p.m. to say that she had drowned her 16-month-old boy. When police arrived, the baby was dead and the mother had minor injuries, according to Lt. Kenny Whitman. Paramedics treated her on the scene before she was arrested, Whitman said. Medics tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate the baby, who may have been dead several hours before the woman called 911. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre After the woman was taken into custody, she was sent to Highland Hospital where she was treated for cuts to her wrists, Sgt. James Morris said. A man who arrived at the apartment about an hour later was being questioned by police Tuesday night, Whitman said. Authorities later confirmed that the man, who is a resident of the 1130 3rd Ave. apartment where the baby was found, is the father of the child. The apartment is on an upper floor of the Regency Tower, a high-rise building off East 12th Street, located in a quiet street behind Laney College on the east side of Lake Merritt. “It’s a nice, well-kept apartment,” Whitman said. Neighbors entering the building said they did not know the woman and were unaware of the child’s death. For more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

DONEGAL LADIES PROVE THEY’RE NO JUNIORS AT CHAMBER AWARDS

first_imgTwo young ladies from Donegal scooped National awards at the Junior Chamber International (JCI) Ireland National Convention in Cork.Emma Boylan President of JCI Donegal won the award for Most Outstanding Local President in Ireland. Nikki Bradley Vice President of JCI Donegal won the award for Most Outstanding New Member in Ireland. Emma has also been appointed as Director of Communications for JCI Ireland for 2015. Junior Chamber International Ireland started a new JCI branch in Donegal in January of this year. To date there is 28 members with lots of interest from other parties.The branch have ran many events including The Outstanding Young Person Awards and the Friendly Business Awards. Those awarded at these events in Donegal went on to be recognised nationally. Most recently Patrick Gildea Hairdressers was awarded nationally for their Shop Layout.JCI Donegal also gets involved with the community. JCI members slept outside last weekend to help raise awareness for the Simon Community, they have been involved with Pieta House, the St. Patrick Day’s Parade and much more.JCI also caters for individual members needs by providing training to develop and grow young people between the age of 18 and 40. Emma Boylan President of JCI Donegal commented “Myself and Nikki were delighted to receive the awards! What we are even more delighted about it is that JCI has finally come to Donegal. It’s an amazing initiative for young people and we are now the second biggest branch in Ireland.” Emma laughed “I have told JCI Dublin, who have 48, we will be bigger than them before year end, Donegal can beat Dublin again!”JCI is a place where young leaders and entrepreneurs meet, learn and grow. JCI Donegal is seeking young people in their 20’s and 30’s who are dynamic and enthusiastic, motivated and interested in increasing their exploitable skills set.For more information email Emma at jcidonegal@gmail.com or find JCI Donegal on Facebook and twitter. DONEGAL LADIES PROVE THEY’RE NO JUNIORS AT CHAMBER AWARDS was last modified: October 8th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalEmma BoylanJunior Chambernikki bradleylast_img read more

Borussia Dortmund beat Liverpool to Dembele deal – Reports

first_img1 18-year-old striker Ousmane Dembele has impressed with 12 Ligue 1 goals this season Borussia Dortmund have beaten Liverpool to the signing of Rennes forward Ousmane Dembele, according to reports in Germany.Reds boss Jurgen Klopp became a keen admirer of the French teenager last season when he was in charge at the Westfalenstadion but his former club have now stolen a march on him by agreeing a £4million deal with Rennes.According to Bild, Dortmund have been in regular contact with Rennes over the 18-year-old’s availability this season and that has allowed them to move ahead of Liverpool and Bayern Munich in the race to land Dembele.The highly-rated forward has made a big impression in his debut season for Rennes’ first team, scoring 12 goals in 22 Ligue 1 appearances.His form had alerted clubs from across Europe but it now appears he will move to Dortmund in the summer to provide back-up for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.last_img read more

EXCLUSIVE: Carlo Ancelotti reveals how Bale’s agent interfered at Real Madrid

first_imgCarlo Ancelotti has revealed how Gareth Bale’s agent attempted to interfere with the running of Real Madrid when both manager and player were at the Bernabeu.The duo headed to Spain in the summer of 2013, Ancelotti in his role of head coach overseeing the signing of Bale from Tottenham.The Welsh star enjoyed a strong debut season in Madrid, contributing 22 goals and 16 assists on the way to Los Blancos’ 10th European Cup win, although he was said to be struggling adapting to life in his new country.There were also issues about his role in the team, as part of Madrid’s attacking trio of Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema.Benzema started upfront, with Ronaldo on the left in his favoured position, which resulted in Bale being pushed out to the right wing.As he proved at Spurs, the 26-year-old was much more effective in a central attacking role, and Ancelotti has revealed how Bale’s agent went to Florentino Perez to interfere with team selections.When pressed about the interference of agents, Ancelotti told Hawksbee and Jacobs: “The perfect way is to have a direct relationship with a player. I would like to speak directly to the player; I’m not used to speaking to the agent and I don’t want to speak to the agent.“The speech with the agent is a problem of the club, and that was what happened with Bale.“His agent went to the president, but I said to the player ‘if you have something that’s not going well, you have to speak with me’, and we tried to manage this.“I think the player understood this, and Gareth Bale did a fantastic season with me. We won, in the first year, La Decima, and it was not easy for him to come into a new country and immediately do really well.”CARLO ANCELOTTI: Quiet Leadership (Portfolio Penguin) is out now.last_img read more